Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default How do we know when 120V US socket strip can handle Europe 240V?

On 5/22/2014 6:13 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
"Brian Gregory"

Yes. That's exactly what I am asking about.
The question is how I can be sure the US power strip can handle 240
volts.

Open it up and check there is nothing that might not like 240V in it.

** The OP simply has to make sure any varistors are rated at 275VAC,
suppression caps have the same voltage rating and are marked class X1 or
2 - oh, and neon lights must have series resistors of 180 kohms or higher.

Varistors must only be wired from active to neutral, never to ground.

If in doubt, just remove the lot with side cutters.

Dead simple.

.... Phil

What's dead simple is that you should NEVER used stuff rated for a max
of 120v
on higher than 120V...PERIOD.
Emphasis on the DEAD.
Whether it works is irrelevant.
It's ill-advised, dangerous, prone to fire, illegal,
probably voids your insurance...and then, there's that dead part.

It's not a self-regulated process that rids the world of idiots.
When you burn the place down, your reckless incompetence seriously
affects others.
Get properly rated equipment...PERIOD!!

Take it from someone who was completely burned out by the idiot
in the adjacent apartment.