Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Yep, apparently so! OT. EBAY hacked.

On Thu, 22 May 2014 12:31:03 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:537ddda1$0$58399
:

On 5/22/2014 6:09 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 5/22/2014 5:28 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

There is a notice on their homepage saying all users should
change their passwords.

Actually, there is NO SUCH MESSAGE on their home page nor in any
messaging to their registered users as of 5:55AM, CDST, today.

If you, Dean, received an email notifying you of this "hack" I suspect
that you were duped by a phishing expedition and have given up your own
password to ebay.

Well, I just looked at their homepage again. It is there. I
clicked a couple links to look at some listings. That part seems to be
working also.
I didn't receive emails about the hack. I typed Ebay hack into
Bing search. There are several references to it. Among those is CNN,
MSN, and ABC. It's possible they've all been duped.

My apologies... I see what you mean about everybody and their brother
talking it up.

Still, I looked high and low on ebay.com and there was no obvious
mention made of a problem UNTIL I clicked on my personal account and
attempted to modify my password. Only THEN did a box pop up suggesting
that I change my password due to the hack.

Stupid Ebayg

Ebay isn't the stupid one here. The notice appears, very prominently, at the top of the page
as soon as www.ebay.com loads.

My saved password logged me in at the same time the page came up, but I
also didn't have to try to modify my password.

At the same time the first screen came up, it included a big orange,
black, and white box that said IMPORTANT PASSWORD UPDATE. To protect
the security and privacy of our customers we're asking all Ebay users to
reset their passwords. Learn more.

So what might happen to me if I don't do so? I have id/password
combinations and I can't think too much today.

BTW, the news was on NPR too.