Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

On 2014-05-21, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2014 21:04:18 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 20 May 2014 18:39:27 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[ ... ]

I spent about 15 years doing CAD design of schematics and circuit
boards with a mouse and have some well-developed skills and
preferences for them that I can't duplicate with a trackball.
-jsw

I suspect its all what one is used to. I do things with the trackball
that I costs me arm pain with the mouse.

I'm doing petty well with the wired LogiTech TrackMan (thumb
operated trackball) with CAD and schematic capture software. (All
running on a linux box down in the electronics "lab", while I run them
from up here in the living room working at my Sun Blade 2000 with two
large LCD (or now LED) monitors.

Top-mounted finger-actuated trackballs are as bad or worse than mice
for pain. Only the thumb-actuated balls prevent that, allowing you to
fully rest your hand and arm on the device.

Thumb is what I use -- and I jsut want to get rid of the tail
connected to it. :-)

And I certainly need less desk top for the trackball

And they require less dusting.

Not if you have lap cats. Mine curls up in my lap, displacing
my keyboard (which is in my lap while typing) and leaving me to read web
comics with jsut the trackball.

And my wife has her trackball beside her on the sofa, and the
same cat likes to put her paw on my wife's had when the hand is on the
trackball. Fur in trackball (in particular in the optical encoder for
the scroll wheel) so it has to come apart about once a year to be
defurred. :-) Mine does not clog as rapidly, but sometimes it does.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail