Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_5_] Tim Wescott[_5_] is offline

Default Cutting Carbon Fiber

I want to make some stuff out of carbon fiber plate, about 0.06 or 0.09
inch thick (I'm not sure which). Like this stuff:

http://www.rockwestcomposites.com/products/402-612

I need to whack out rectangles of the stuff, make tidy rectangular holes
in them, and then make numerous drilled holes (16x, 0.1" diameter).

Is it even possible to work on this stuff with hand tools? Will a
hacksaw blade or coping saw even make a dent in it? (I don't mind if I
have to replace a lot of blades -- that's why they're made disposable,
after all).

Or should I be thinking in terms of figuring out how to clamp it into my
mill and cut it with solid carbide cutters?

How nasty is the dust?

Any other bits of wisdom are appreciated.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services