Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Epson inkjet printer

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message om, bm
writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
hill.co.uk...
On Tue, 20 May 2014 18:47:13 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Diagnostics were unhelpful so I unscrewed all the visible screws but
failed to get access!

Presumablly you tried the gentle waggling/twisting/prising of now
loose parts to work out were any common pivot points are and thus
where there is still a fixing of some sort.

Yes. The solution was courage driven by nothing to lose:-)

A prize off access plate gives access to the ribbon connector for the scan
assembly. The ribbon is carefully glued down over a screw which releases
the pivot for the scan. Once the various connectors have been released,
the deck lifts off. With the deck off the 4th. holding screw for the top
housing can be reached. Still not there as there are a further 3 screws
hidden below the stick on legend plate for the control buttons!!

Youtube often has all the gory detail spelt out with devices like that.

The Canon ip3000 has not screws at all, everything comes part very
easily when you know where the internal latches are from youtube.

Interesting design quirk with that printer. It intelligently moves the
print head into the center to make it easy to change the cartridges
and head, its normally parked under the right cover. But if the
electronics dies and you want to get the head and cartridges out
to put them into the spare that you got for peanuts from a garage/yard
sale, there is no way to get them out without pulling it to bits.
Fortunately its very easy to do when you know how.

Now inside but not much wiser. Fair bit of paper shavings/dirt but nothing
obviously broken or jammed. I was hoping to find something simple like a
dirty photocell etc. I'll waft a vacuum cleaner around it before a blast
of compressed air and then attempt re-assembly.

The printer is well beyond the expected life as I had the ink counter
reset 2 years back.

I don't do enough printing to justify a colour laser: mostly b/w copying
plus photos for which it has been excellent.

Personally I'd dump the inkjet and get a colour laser, capital is
higher and a set of toner cartridges is eye watering(*) but they
"just work". You don't have to spend half an hour pumping expensive
ink into the collection sponge in "cleaning cycles" when you want to
print something in colour and the printer hasn't done any colour for
a few days.

I've read that folks have this problem. Mine might not print for a month
or
more but prints perfectly when asked. That's a SX600FW using non genuine
ink
(50p per cart) but you must change carts well before they dry up else
you're
in all sorts of trouble.