Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default How do we know when 120V US socket strip can handle Europe 240V?

On Sunday, May 18, 2014 1:53:37 PM UTC-7, Jessie Williams wrote:

...the US power strip will "see"
the full 240 volts of the European wall outlet.

But, I can't find any power strips at Home Depot or Lowes or Ace that
"says" it can handle the 240 volts.

No,m of course not; that's because there's no approved way (and
no fire-code permission) to put 240VAC onto any three-prong 120VAC
receptacle. The presumption is that someone would plug a
120VAC appliance into that socket, and cause a hazard.

It's impossible to make a permissive label without making
some kind of conribution to such hazard, so there'll be no label.
It would probably work, though, and one could test, or inspect, or
modify any number of items to achieve the desired result.