Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Hardface tiller tines?

wrote:
Since my Troy-Bilt tiller is of course being used to till dirt the
tines don't stay real sharp for long. I thought about hardfacing the
cutting edges of the tines but the tines are of course some type of
hardened steel. Anybody know if the tines can be hardfaced?
Thanks,
Eric

Back when Troy-Bilt was in Troy they offered hard faced tines for the
larger models. Being that I was in there a lot hauling parts I asked
about some of the "upgrades" they did to products. Those tines were one
of them (have an old Horse model myself). The procedure they used was
simple. They stamped the regular tines in house. They stamped the hard
faced ones from the same steel but with a different part number. They
were sent over to the fab shop where one machine did the work. It was a
"robotic" MIG running Lincore wire. The weld went from the top of the
bevel around the curve. Then they would drop onto a table and knock off
any slag. Then a quick swipe with a grinder to level them and a bath in
the paint tank.

--
Steve W.