Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.hvac

Default water heater leaking!

On Tue, 20 May 2014 22:09:46 -0400, HomeGuy
Home@Guy.com wrote:

badgolferman wrote:

If you can attach a propane tank to a barbeque grill you can
replace a gas water heater.

There are welded pipes and gas fittings. I don't think I want to
fool with those since I've never used a torch before.

You would not need a torch to disconnect the gas line from your water
heater.

You shut off the gas valve in the line going to the water heater, then
you take a wrench and unscrew the coupler at the tank gas inlet.

Naturally, you'd drain the tank and close the water valves going to (and
coming from) the heater (if you have such valves) or you'd shut off the
main water supply. Then you unscrew the couplers and move the old tank
out of the way.

Assuming the guy who installed it last used threaded unions. Most just
solder everything solid.

When I replaced my tank, I added a ball valve to both the incoming and
out-going side of the copper water lines going to the tank, to make
replacement easier the next time.

And I installed unions in the lines so it is easy to disconnect next
time.

The gas input of the old tank matched exactly (in terms of height from
the floor) of the new tank, so I didn't need to rework the gas line.
Just move the new tank into position, screw the coupler back, turn on
the gas, spread a little dish-soap on the connection to see if it
bubbles, and the job is done.

You were lucky - I had to replumb both the gas and water.