David Wade

Default 1st Attempt at large bowl turning

The tools and equipment sound OK.

Consider which is more important, big or pretty. Be willing to make a
pretty 14" bowl instead of wood-saving 18" bowl. You will be happier in
the long run.

Big pieces that are out of balance can be miserable to get roughed into
shape and balance starting at 120 RPM. Every minute spent with a
chainsaw or bandsaw before the blank goes on the lathe will pay you back
later.

Good luck,
David

RP Edington wrote:
Hello,
I have a large walnut bowl blank (actually two). They are around 18"
in diameter and I suspect weigh about 45-50 lbs apiece. I have a PM
3520 and an 8" Oneway faceplate, and a SuperNova with the power jaws
(3"). I am a little nervous about turning something this large, but I
want to! I usually put the face plate on the top of the bowl and cut
the outside and the fixing for the chuck and then turn it around and
cut out the inner portion of the bowl. I will use the tail stock as
much as possible.
Any other considerations I am not thinking about? I have a new Sorby
bowl gouge and a wolverine jig. I want this to be pretty, so any help
you can offer I'd appreciate.

When I get these I also have two large Aromatic Cedar (17") and four
17" Maple blanks waiting. All these are green.

Thanks for your help.

RP

--
http://www.wademade.net