Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

On 2014-05-19, Pete Keillor wrote:
On 19 May 2014 02:48:53 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2014-05-18, Pete Keillor wrote:
On 18 May 2014 02:51:57 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

tubing to direct wired, to 37 pin Amphenol connectors (with the crimp
insert pins) to the 50 pin D connectors. Then finally to networked
connections.

37-pin Amphenol in the D series (e.g. DC-37)? Amphenol makes a
wide range of connectors -- including the "miniature circular) ones
which used to be made by Bendix, and made with the connectors on the back
of aircraft instruments from the 1967 period.

No, it was one of the green round shell ones, about 1" or a little
bigger in diameter.

Green? Sort of OD on metal? Sounds like the military
connectors which started out from Bendix and which Amphenol took over.
Five keys -- One wide one at 12:00 o'lock, and two pairs of narrow ones
at about 5:0O o'clock and 7:00 o'clock? These are the ones I am
currently fighting with to interface to some mid 1960s military aircraft
instruments. I happen to have already had the crimper (Daniels
Manufacturing Company), but needed the positioner bushing for these pins
(about $45.00), and the pin inserter and extractor tools. All three
just arrived today, and I'm diving back into the project.

None with exactly 37 pins, though a number within that vicinity.
A 22-34 and a 22-36 which are both shell size 22 (mounts in a panel hole
with 22*1/8" , and 34 and 36 20 ga pins.

You had to crimp the tiny little mating bits on
each wire with an expensive tool that did a circular crimp, then
insert in the connector.

Yep. Actually, the connectors are available with solder cup
terminals or crimp terminals. Having just installed a 41 pin one with
the solder cup terminals, I now prefer the crimp version. On those
connectors, there is a grommet with the number of holes matching the
pins, with a fairly tight poke-through with the 22 Ga wire I'm using.
When you've got 41 of those soldered to the connector, and you try to
slide the grommet into place on the back of the connector, it is a *real*
pain to slide. I'm so glad that my 55 pin connector turned out to be
the crimp style -- for all that I had to get the pins for it at $2.20
per pin. :-(

But yes, in the same catalog is the scoop-proof version which
has the pins retracted enough so they can't be hit by the mating
connector until it is properly aligned with the keyways -- thus no bent
pins.

Bad choice on my part, drove us nuts keeping all the signals straight.
D connectors and ribbon was a lot better. I found quick release
latches for the D's, plus shielded ribbon cable which was rolled up in
the shield and outer insulation. I mounted the mating connectors in
the bottom of 6" Hoffman hinged trough suspended overhead.

That shielded ribbon (assuming fast signals) wants a particular
source and termination impedance. The simple termination is a 220 Ohm
resistor to +5V and a 330 Ohm resistor to ground on each data pin, such
as on SCSI cables. If the signals are slow enough, and the cables are
short enough, you can get away without proper termination, but for fast
you need it.

[ ... ]

There was talk of wireless when I retired, but I concluded that was a
bad idea in the chemical industry. Maybe I was just too old
fashioned, but the thought of someone interfering with a potentially
dangerous process with a cell phone or appliance, or intentionally by
some other means made me very nervous.

I happen to agree *fully* with you. Even if they don't try to
set up a second wireless network overlapping the first in coverage. :-)

Just as using wireless keyboards and mice is a bad idea where
more than one computer is in use. (I'm sort of considering a wireless
trackball on this computer, but I can't let my wife have on at the same
time. Were sitting about eight feet apart, and the computers are closer
to each other. :-)

[ ... ]

I'm going to try one of those on a current project. I'm trying to put
together a cheap, very simple to operate cd voice recorder. I'll use
a headless microcomputer to run the show, interface with pushbuttons
only. I'll use a monitor, keyboard, etc. to develop, test, and down
the road if this works, repair.

Good Luck,.

My wife volunteers with some folks in women's prisons here in Texas
recording inmates reading children's books to their kids, then sending
the recordings and books to the kids. They used to use cassettes, but
can't find the players any more. They're changing to cd's, also
obsolete, but at least cd's are cheap and available. The problem is
the volunteers are using laptops and recording thumb drives, and about
half the volunteers have difficulty running the recording, file
conversion, burning, etc. Never mind the inevitable bloatware and
pop-ups.

All of which makes things more difficult for those who are not
high-tech savvy.

We looked all over for cheap voice recorders with cd capability. They
exist, but not cheap. So I'm trying a $45 Beaglebone Black, $12 cd
burner, then I'll probably need a custom cape to handle audio, mic and
speaker, buttons, and battery management. Code will be the big deal.
I need auto-start and a graceful shutdown. Don't need no stinkin'
network, etc. Except for troubleshooting and repair, and that won't
be accessible to the users. I've got a lot of learning to do. And
networking (not my strong suit) to find the right help. Ultimately
they'd need over 30 of these. They cover six prisons once/month.

Good Luck with that project.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--