Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Experiment with LED lamps

On 5/19/2014 12:31 PM, HerHusband wrote:
Art,

My subdivision has gates with 2 post lights, each with 2 mini
candelabra base bulbs, plus 2 150 watt floods (tube type lamp) on the
sign. The post lights each used 2 60 watt incandescent lamp. We were
changing one lamp every few months. So, I thought, LEDs.

If regular incandescent bulbs were failing every few months, I would tend
to suspect a problem with the fixture. You might need to seal the fixture
better to keep moisture out. With the power turned off, you might want to
clean the bulb socket and add some kind of corrosion inhibitor to the
threads when you screw the new bulbs in.

When I say that we were replacing a bulb (incandescent) every few
months, that was one out of the 6. Those bulbs are usually marked 2000
or 3000 hours. That's roughly about 6 to 8 months of dusk to dawn use.
Scattered throughout the year, that's about every few months.