George

Default Tapered hole for candle stick holders

The "standard" taper, as you have noticed, is supposed to be 7/8 taper to
3/4 . I ground back a 7/8 spade bit, making sure to relieve the newly ground
edges to the angle of the existing. If it were not for the large triangular
lead, it would be ideal. Which is why I now bore the hole for brass candle
inserts.

BTW, they'll never fit right first try, which is why you always trim, then
put a drop or two of wax to help set them up straight.

"Jack Grube" wrote in message
I am a high school wood working/turning teacher and have some students
interested in turning candleholders. Other than trial and error are there

any
suggestions on how I can get a novice to make the tapered hole the correct

size
so the candle sits straight?