Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

On 2014-05-16, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

I had a huge struggle with soldering a couple of DB-9 connectors, my
vision and fine motor control just aren't what they used to be. And, I
only had to make 5 connections on the DB-9's, it took me close to an
hour. These are for a DRO, I've been using a break-out box until now on
the mismatched scales and display. Remember, the display bit the dust a
while ago.

[ ... ]

I hold them in a drill press vise, and tin the wires before assembly.
A little solder in the cups of the pins I need to use, and a drop of
liquid rosin flux over the solder. Then touch a hot soldering iron to
the solder on the pin and insert the pretinned wire. The flux allows a
clean flow, and a little IPA will clean it up when I'm done.

If you are going to solder, it is best to get another special
tool. An anti-wicking tweezers set by Clauss for the wire size you are
using. It supports the insulation, and contacts in a full ring around
the wire to cool it off, so the solder stops flowing and leaves a
multi-strand section still flexible before you go into the insulation.
This reduces the frequency of the wires snapping from vibration right
there.

And I've got a solder pot for the tinning. I dip the wire in
liquid rosin flux, and then quickly into and out of the pot while
holding it in the anti-wicking tweezers. I just had to do a 41-pin
Bendix style aircraft instrument connector with solder cups. The 55-pin
one happens to be crimp pins, which would be good except for the cost of
machined pins. $2.30 each!

BTW, it isn't a DB-9, it is a DE-9. The second letter is the shell
size. The common 25 pin shell is a 'B'. The SVGA monitor plug is a
HDE-15.

Agreed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature

PS: Have you ever seen any of these?

http://www.project-parts.com/itempix/450-040A.jpg

Not with the full eight coax pins, but I'm accustomed to the 13W3 (3
coax pins and 10 individual wire pins) used by Sun for their older
monitor cables.

The coax also has a special crimper which crimps both the shield
and the center conductor at one stroke. I've got the AMP crimper for
those, but not the connectors. (I've been collecting AMP crimpers for a
long time. :-)

These are PC mount versions, probably for a backplane.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---