Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default What is the best way to cut floor exactly along wall?

wrote in message
news
I'm dealing with a trailer house with about 15 feet of bad floor along
one side. I recently replaced the floor in the water heater closet in
that trailer, and used a wood chisel along the wall. Just that 30"
closet took hours. I'm trying to find a better way. A circular saw
cant get close enough. I tried an angle grinder with grinder wheel,
which worked but filled the whole house with smoke and was real slow.

I do have access to one of those Multi Function oscillating tools from a
friend. I've never used one of them, so I dont know if that would work,
and of course I dont want to rip up the wall either. I did see about a
4inch circular saw blade at the hardware store, I was wondering if I
could put one of those blades on my angle grinder and use that. But I
thought I'd ask if anyone has a better idea.

The floor is made from 3/4" particle board, but will be replaced with
3/4" plywood. (treated plywood by the door, which is where the floors
always go bad in these trailers). However this trailer had a roof leak
(which is now repaired), so that is why there is such a large repair

The goal is to just remove 4" from the wall the entire length of the bad
area, and put down the plywood. I want to get right up to the wall to
remove all the bad flooring and so I have as much of the 2x8 joist
exposed to fasten the new plywood. I may still add blocks of 2x4
between each joist so there is more to nail to.

I'm confused...you want to remove a 4" strip but you say a circular saw
can't get close enough. Man, that must be some whopping big saw you have,
I've never seen one that couldn't cut 4" away from a wall; how close can you
cut if you turn the saw 180 degrees and go in the other direction?

Assuming you *can* get close enough, just set the depth of cut = floor
thicknes and cut away; use a prybar to lever out the cut off if there are
nails holding it down. Now, you won't be able to cut all he way to both
walls that are at 90degrees to what you want to remove but you could use a
chisel for that...or angle a saber saw...or your oscillating tool (although
cutting much wood with them is a chore).

--

dadiOH