Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default GM Ignition Switch Problem

On Sun, 18 May 2014 12:34:07 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

snip
One of the recommendations for wear and tear on vehicles in general I read,
(I forget the source) said to not use a heavy key ring in any vehicle
ignition as the extra weight and force from movement would wear the ignition
switch assembly significantly faster than a lighter key ring without extra
fobs and keys. I seem to recall that one of the big name insurance
companies quoted that tip in national advertising a few years ago as well.

/snip

An other excuse by the manufacturers. The problems due to
heavy key rings have been know at least since the 1940's,
and it is known people will hang heavy key rings off the
ignition switches. SAAB put the ignition lock on the floor
between the front seats. This is the type of thing that
leads to government standards and overkill. 60 years (and a
number of consumer deaths) and still no voluntary solution,
but tons of complaints and whining when one is imposed...

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"