Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default GM Ignition Switch Problem

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

This video by Machine Design magazine shows what is wrong.

The detent plunger was too short and it's spring too weak to firmly hold
the switch in the "run" position. So, extra weight on a keyring could turn
the ignition switch off. (By swinging I suppose.)

http://tinyurl.com/mdx67rn

Jeff

One of the recommendations for wear and tear on vehicles in general I read,
(I forget the source) said to not use a heavy key ring in any vehicle
ignition as the extra weight and force from movement would wear the ignition
switch assembly significantly faster than a lighter key ring without extra
fobs and keys. I seem to recall that one of the big name insurance
companies quoted that tip in national advertising a few years ago as well.

The source might have something I got from my brother in law when he was a
manager at Delphi.