Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Protecting Finish in Mill Vise?

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 May 2014 08:23:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Biggest I've messed with, thrown the breaker, did NOT build, was an
experimental electrolytic cell for producing magnesium. 15kv feeds,
fuji rectiformer, either dc or 10Hz (low because of inductive
losses).
The cell ran at 200vdc, 18000 amps. Main circuit was "wired" with
two
slabs of 2"x24" aluminum, about 20 or so 500mcm jumpers to the
electrodes either end.

Pete Keillor

Diesel-electric sub controls are pretty impressive, to the limited
extent they are exposed to view:
http://www.portsmouthnh.com/harbourtrail/albacore.cfm

AFAICT the complex switching isn't fully interlocked and depends on
crew training and -complete- focus to not short out 5000A batteries.

The power job I liked least was testing a 300V electric vehicle
battery that had to be fully energized to find its numerous controller
miswiring problems. The engineer was very skilled at design, less so
at documentation.

-jsw