Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

On 2014-05-17, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 16 May 2014 19:31:04 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[ ... ]

If you found soldering D-Subs frustrating, these would have you raging
through the engineering cubicles swinging an axe:
http://www.binder-usa.com/product-li...al-connectors/

I'll bet they are just the sweetest, teensiest thangs with about an
80% breakage rate when using the specified crimping tool.

:-)

http://www.lemo.com/en

Those push/pull B metal Lemos look really, really familiar, but I
can't place where I've seen them. The (strong but foggy) memory feels
like "o-scope", but those are all BNC, IIRC.

*That* is the connector which Tektronix put on the DMM plugin
for the TM-500 series test instruments. It has the normal binding posts
for most test leads, but that was used for turning a transistor into a
remote temperature probe on the end of a cable. I wanted to make one of
those once I got the plugin, but they are way too expensive for me to do
that unless I really *need* it.

I remember liking the
feeling of the connection with those for some reason. Maybe it was
used on the $3500 HP RCL meter we got at SouthCom in '73.

Could have been -- I don't know that particular piece of
equipment, but I do know that Tektronix used the one as I described
above. (If you care, I can go downstairs and read which particular
model of plug-in it is. Likely something like a DM-501 or so.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail