Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT computer question...

On Sat, 17 May 2014 11:24:14 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2014 22:58:33 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 17 May 2014 07:57:07 +1000, Jon Anderson

Jon, do you have a spare data cable for the drives? I've seen more
than one that was bad.

Hmm, never seen one go bad myself. Too bad I tossed probably a dozen of
them before I moved... I don't think that's it, as BIOS is also
reporting only one of the two DVD drives and calls it a CD-ROM.
But I'll see if I can get one in town, certainly worth a shot.

Thanks,

Jon

Swap em and make sure that if they are IDE, one is set for master and
one for slave. And in older MOBOs...try to put a optical drive as a
slave to C: (E: and the second one as a Slave(F) to D (other hard
drive if you have 2 hard drives. If one of the config jumpers has
fallen out.,.it can make that drive invisible or in stone conflict.
Which most folks dont know or remember.

Which is one of the reasons (among seveal) they developed SATA...

My regular desk top puter has 4 hard drives, 2 DVD Read/write and 3
addtional USB drives..but I have a card that allows me to add
additonal IDE drives (up to 4 on the card..a Promise Tech card)..so I
couild run a total of 6 HDs and 2 opticals, plus the USB media.

I have a pretty decent power supply to run the drives...shrug.

Gunner

The SIMPLE way is to set them all to CS (Cable Select) and mark
which one goes on the end of the cable so you know which one is the
master (when it matters)

On many older mother boards, cable select was very very iffy...in my
experience.

Shrug

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"