Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Dateline Cochran, GA

On 05/17/2014 11:58 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/17/2014 12:31 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 05/17/2014 07:01 AM, Leon wrote:

You develop a tolerance for the heat in your mouth, The body adapts
areas that are repeatedly subject to high temp. Work with your hands
and get calluses. If I pick up a hot french fry and it burns my fingers
my first thought is to put it in my mouth. My mouth is much more
tolerant to heat than my hands. Perhaps if I ate with my hands vs using
a fork my hands would become accustomed to the heat too.

AND I am not suggesting that you eat all our meals with your fingers.
;~)

If you do a lot of cooking, your hands and fingers will become heat
tolerant as the accumulated burns destroy the nerve endings. You still
burn hands and fingers, but it doesn't hurt as much.

Absolutely agree, a tolerance has been developed. And while I agree
that a chef/cook probably gets burned quite often I'm certain those
burns are not as numerous or severe as those gotten when he began
cooking/burning himself. ;~) I am sure calluses too over the years
offer a layer of protection which perhaps a person near his or her
crotch may or may not have developed. ;~)

Perhaps practitioners of the oldest occupation develop callouses there ;-)