Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Protecting Finish in Mill Vise?

On Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:19:15 AM UTC-4, Doug White wrote:
I have a small part I need to modify slightly. It is steel, but with a

polished finish, and I don't want to scratch it up. It's difficult to

tell, but it may have a very thin epoxy or some other protective coating.

It's hard (RC ~ 52), and I will be using a sharp carbide end mill and light

cuts. I only need to remove 5 to 10 mils in one area.

I don't want it to slip in the vise, and I'm wondering what's the best way

to hang onto it while protecting the finish. I could use tape, but Scotch

tape is a bit slippery, and the adhesive on masking tape is thick enough

I'm concerened it might creep. I could ue thin cardboard shims, or maybe

even aluminum, but that might mar the finish.

Comments? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Doug White

Before this turned into a pleasant "pick on Gunner" session, you were asking about how to grip your shiny part in a vice. Assuming that it has flat sides to bear against the vice jaws, I might try some contact cement, applied very sparingly, Perhaps to only one surface - not to glue the part to the vice. You could use something like 3M 77 spray mount adhesive. Holds like the Dickens, but is very thin. It'll clean up easily with solvent.

You might also try rolling paper. It's incredibly thin but still pretty tough. You might try gluing that to either the vice jaw or the workpiece.