Spyda Man

Default A new lathe

Aloha Kevin,
I have been turning on my Harbor Freight version of your JET lathe for
close to ten years. Instead of advancing to a larger more expensive
lathe I have over the years made designs changes to suit my needs, and
now I call it "Frankenstien". I added lift blocls, foot switch,
reinforced the stand, etc. etc. I still use my original old Nova chuck,
and recommend it.
Some advice on quick add-ons to make turning more enjoyable. 1. Add a
length of 4x4x 36" posts lying flat under each end of stand, center the
lathe, and lagbolt stand legs down onto the 4x4s. You can add rubber
furniture pads on the underside ends of the 4x4s to raise enough to
allow for irregularities in the floor, and prevent movement from
vibrations. This will raise the lathe to a more comfortable height, and
also widen the stance making the lathe more secure. 2. Cut an
appropriate size piece of 3/4" plywood to place on top middle bracing
of stand to form a shelf, then place 2- 100 pound bags of sand on this
shelf. The weight, and sand will absorb vibrations, and that combied
with the higher wider stance from 4x4s will make turning larger pieces
more enjoyable.
Pick up a 1/2 inch bowl gouge, and a scraper from Bernie at SERIOUS
LATHE COMPANY and you should be set.

Spy in Hawaii