Posted to alt.electronics
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default 180 degrees out of phase

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 16 May 2014 19:07:37 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 16 May 2014 15:56:00 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Thu, 15 May 2014 18:43:09 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news

It would see the load as a loss vector which would change the whole
dynamic.

Explain further. The added circuit should be a "negative resistance",
which when added to a normal resistance would app to.... zero?!

In theoretically ideal components, C has current leading voltage by 90
deg
and L has current lagging by 90.

In real world components, losses alter the vector angles with the end
result
that your series resonant circuit doesn't draw infinite current and
produce
infinite voltage.

But I wonder if it would help reduce the meter reading?

It incinerates your meter so there isn't much left to read.

You could buy all 110V appliances and use capacitor "wattless droppers".

That would put I out of phase with V and screw up the meter readings.

Meters (especially electronic ones) don't mind up to 90 degrees out of
phase. I was looking for 180 degrees out of phase.

Each capacitor needs to be dimensioned for its load - Late hybrid TCE
CTVs
used a wattless dropper for the 300mA heater chain, the capacitor was
4.3uF - you can scale that for the current draw of your appliances.

So an extension to the house then.

Each cap has to be dimensioned for its load - you can't bulk-dropper the
whole house.

Its basically approximating to a constant current supply, filament bulbs can
have accelerated end of life reactive loads like transformers can be pretty
unpredictable.

I have what used to be an IR/UV therapy lamp (till I broke the UV tube). The
2 IR bars add up to 110V and act as ballast for the tube when both on
together, the mans ir half wave rectified for IR only. As the IR bit is 110V
I could run it off a wattless dropper if I had a capacitor big enough.