Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

On 5/15/2014 10:33 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I had a huge struggle with soldering a couple of DB-9 connectors, my
vision and fine motor control just aren't what they used to be. And, I
only had to make 5 connections on the DB-9's, it took me close to an
hour. These are for a DRO, I've been using a break-out box until now on
the mismatched scales and display. Remember, the display bit the dust a
while ago.

I did have the connectors locked in a miniature vice but I couldn't
think of any other techniques that would help.

As others have written, use the crimp pins and connectors. However, that
brings in new problems. You will need to get at least TWO of the pin
removal tools because the first one will break when you need it most.

Paul