Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

John G wrote:
on 16/05/2014, Tom Gardner supposed :
I had a huge struggle with soldering a couple of DB-9 connectors, my vision
and fine motor control just aren't what they used to be. And, I only had to
make 5 connections on the DB-9's, it took me close to an hour. These are for
a DRO, I've been using a break-out box until now on the mismatched scales and
display. Remember, the display bit the dust a while ago.

I did have the connectors locked in a miniature vice but I couldn't think of
any other techniques that would help.

Just a start. You will have to find the size you need and male or fmale
and the bodies to use.

http://www.jameco.com/1/3/crimp-pins

You can also get crimp style DB connectors at radio shack. Easy access
for those times you only need a couple.

--
Steve W.