Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

On Friday, May 16, 2014 1:33:24 AM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:
I had a huge struggle with soldering a couple of DB-9 connectors, my

vision and fine motor control just aren't what they used to be. And, I

only had to make 5 connections on the DB-9's, it took me close to an

hour. These are for a DRO, I've been using a break-out box until now on

the mismatched scales and display. Remember, the display bit the dust a

while ago.

I did have the connectors locked in a miniature vice but I couldn't

think of any other techniques that would help.

Things that works well for me:
1) Start out with either a new solder-cup connector or one that has had ALL the solder removed.
2) Strip and tin the wires, then cut the tinned par to length. Depending on the wire, the insulation may melt back from the end when you tin it.
3) slip a short piece of heat-shrink tubing on each wire
4) tack each wire in place WITHOUT adding additional solder
6) shrink all the tubing

Using a magnifier and a good light makes all the difference.

If you think THIS is fun, last year I soldered a 36 pin .5mm pitch connector by hand - with a microscope and a very pointy soldering tip.

BTW, for exactly this kind of stuff, last time I ordered from Zenni, I got a pair made with my reading prescription plus two extra diopters. This is way better than any clip-ons or drugstore glasses as it has my exact prescription, astigmatism and all, and cost all of $7.00. Highly recommended.