Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
I had a huge struggle with soldering a couple of DB-9 connectors, my
vision and fine motor control just aren't what they used to be. And,
I only had to make 5 connections on the DB-9's, it took me close to
an hour. These are for a DRO, I've been using a break-out box until
now on the mismatched scales and display. Remember, the display bit
the dust a while ago.

I did have the connectors locked in a miniature vice but I couldn't
think of any other techniques that would help.

I use a small drillpress-type vise which puts the work low enough that
I can rest my hands on the static mat.
This is the type, but not the price I paid.
http://www.amazon.com/Drill-Press-Vi.../dp/B00C73DQ6I

For DB connectors I stand the vise on end and solder the upper row,
then flip the connector. I darken the end pin numbers with a marker
and wipe the raised numerals off to leave them legible against a dark
background.

A headband magnifier that retains my binocular vision and depth
perception helps a lot. I have trouble soldering under a magnifier or
microscope that affects depth perception.

You could try Vise-Grips gently tightened on the connector with the
screw and held upright by a larger vise.

jsw