Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How does a wet cloth really help (scientifically) to survive an airplane crash?

On Fri, 16 May 2014 05:19:33 +0200, nestork
wrote:

I agree with BobF; the wet cloth acts like a filter for both smoke
particles and fumes that would be soluble in water.

During World War One, Canadian soldiers being attacked with chlorine gas
(called "Mustard Gas" at the time because of it's yellow-green colour)
were told to urinate into their handkerchiefs and to breathe through

Hey, finally a benefit from my prostate problems. And truly, I was
just now wondering where to get water for the wet cloth.

that wet cloth. The chlorine gas would dissolve in the water as it
passed through the handkerchief, thereby keeping our troops safe and
alive.

Do you remember Everett Dirkson and how he talked. I read many years
ago that that was from being gassed in WWI, not enough to be killed
obviously. Couldn't find a trace about that on the web, even though
wikip or something remarked on his voice.