Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
WangoTango WangoTango is offline

Default Garage Door Opener Range.

In article ,
says...

WangoTango wrote:

In article ,
says...

amdx wrote:

On 5/8/2014 1:25 PM, WangoTango wrote:
In article , To-Email-Use-
says...
This new, very well-insulated, foil-backed, house has one drawback...
the garage door opener range with the garage door closed is only about
20'

Any ideas on how I could extend that range?

...Jim Thompson

An external antenna would be the easiest thing.

I'm with you, antenna is the solution.
I'd try cutting a director and reflector to proper lengths
and just hung then in place for a test.
Two pieces of wire could solve his problem.

That will detune the front end since it wasn't designed for a
complex, 50 ohm antenna. Some of the single board controllers have an
etched trace for the antenna. Also, any physical modification voids the
FCC acceptance. Some of these are super regen, and a better antenna will
radiate crap that will cause interference.

That's a lot of speculation and maybes.
How about he look at what he has and goes from there.
I'll bet it is one of the single chip code hopping solutions from any
one of a bunch of manufacturers and I doubt that it will be a super-
regen anything.
And, he didn't say that he cared if the FCC might not like the mod.

How many have you worked on?

One more than you have.