nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayayana View Post
I have. I find the crowd here to be mostly intelligent and courteous.
Zaky Waky:

I'll agree with Mayayana on that. Don't tell him I said this, but one of the exceptions that Mayayana may be referring to is a fella that posts under different aliases, but mostly goes by the name "HomeGuy". You may find him hard to get along with because he seems to enjoy denegrating America and all things American. From what I've been able to gather, he feels his justification for doing so is that in 2008 the US Housing Mortgage crisis almost destabilized the world's banking system and sent a lot of national economies into a defensive mode whereby they stopped trading in US mortgage-backed securities with other national economies for fear their economy would be damaged too.

Personally, I think this is very unreasonable of him because no one in this forum had anything to do with that mortgage fiasco, and if anything, the Americans in here suffered as much if not more than he did because of their property values plummeting as a result of the glut of empty houses that flooded the real estate market at the time as a result of people not being able to meet their mortgage payments. It would be like the Americans in here blaming me (another Canadian) for the fact that Justin Bieber was speeding through the streets and avenues of Hollywood in a rented Lamborghini. If it was up to me, I'd take that toy away from him, but it isn't up to me. Similarily, it wasn't up to any of the Americans in here to sell teaser mortgages to people that couldn't remember if they had a job, and if so, where they worked. And, that was pretty well what caused that mortgage fiasco; the US selling US mortgage backed securities world wide when they knew that the mortgages weren't worth the paper they were printed on. Still, the Americans in here were as much victims as anyone else in that regard.

You can usually tell HomeGuy's posts because they start off citing something some American did somewhere which is deplorable in one respect or another, and he then claims that such behaviour is typical of what to expect from Americans in general. For example, if some Yank chops the head off a rooster and leaves it's carcass in the street to rot, then it's the Americans IN HERE that he holds accountable.

But, don't tell HomeGuy I said that. We'll just keep it between ourselves, OK?

Last edited by nestork : May 15th 14 at 09:55 PM