Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default This NG is a hoot!

"Mayayana" wrote in message

One point, not all atheists - or believers/acceptors -
are irrational. I've been an atheist for 65 years and
I, for one, consider myself to be rational and I don't
care what others believe. If that is a bilious
outburst, so be it

There seems to be somewhat of a movement happening:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism
http://archive.wired.com/wired/archi...1/atheism.html

I hadn't really noticed until I saw the posts of the
people
in the philosophy group. I think most of the people I know
are either atheists or can't even be bothered to think
about
it. We've become a country of "scientific materialists" or
"concretists". (It's hard to even come up with a name
because the view that religion is mostly irrelevant has
become an unconscious assumption in the mainstream.) But
the atheist "movement" seems to be essentially a new
religion that sees itself as standing against the
oppression of organized religions. They feel a need to
actually assert what they view as rational thought,
forcefully rejecting all possible realities or aspects of
reality save for the basic knowledge that can be
confirmed
by scientific observation. Ironically, they seem to be
vehement and thoroughly irrational in their attitudes,
very much like a fundamentalist religious cult. The cult
of scientism.

Seems silly to me, a fruitless endeavour that has virtually zero chance of
success (success being changing someone's mind) because those of opposite
view are operating on faith.

--

dadiOH