Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default This NG is a hoot!

| One point, not all atheists - or believers/acceptors - are irrational.
I've
| been an atheist for 65 years and I, for one, consider myself to be
rational
| and I don't care what others believe. If that is a bilious outburst, so
be
| it

There seems to be somewhat of a movement happening:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism
http://archive.wired.com/wired/archi...1/atheism.html

I hadn't really noticed until I saw the posts of the people
in the philosophy group. I think most of the people I know
are either atheists or can't even be bothered to think about
it. We've become a country of "scientific materialists" or
"concretists". (It's hard to even come up with a name because
the view that religion is mostly irrelevant has become an
unconscious assumption in the mainstream.) But the atheist
"movement" seems to be essentially a new religion that sees
itself as standing against the oppression of organized religions.
They feel a need to actually assert what they view as rational
thought, forcefully rejecting all possible realities or aspects
of reality save for the basic knowledge that can be confirmed
by scientific observation. Ironically, they seem to be vehement
and thoroughly irrational in their attitudes, very much like a
fundamentalist religious cult. The cult of scientism.