Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default OT Duplicate car key?

In article ,
Tekkie(R) wrote:

The local ACE will read the chip on your existing key and duplicate it on
the new keys chip. $75 IIRC

When I needed another chip key for a 2004 Toyota, the local Ace store
was able to make a copy. I think it was less than $75, but don't recall.

The copy is a little bulkier than the original, since it has battery
powered electronics. Ace can also replace the battery if it runs down.
You might be able to replace it yourself if you can figure out how to
get the key knob apart without breaking it.

I also had a non-chip copy made to keep in my wallet. It won't start
the car, but will open the doors.

Fred