Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT Duplicate car key?

On Wed, 14 May 2014 18:54:32 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

My 2002 chevy venture uses chipped keys. About 90 bucks from the dealer, must prove ownership, identity, title to vehicle, a whole list of security stuff for a old vehicle

Wallmart sells the chipped key for 35 bucks. depending on the store.

you tube has a video of how to bypass the system. Basically get a sensor,

Isn't there already a sensor under the dash? Near the keyhole.

attach a chipped key permantely to the sensor.

Yes. You can even use a broken key, as long as the head has the chip
in it **

Add a relay so when you turn the key,

If you use the sensor under the dash, it's already connected to a relay.
And that relay is already connected to the starter motor as it should
be.

If you want to learn more about this, read the instructions for
installing a remote-start system, which is often part of a burglar
alarm. I wondered how they bypassed the need for a smart key, and they
don't. They have you take one and attach it to the chip-key sensor,
which is under the dash and near the keyhole.

For that matter, you can use a non-chip key to start the car, if a chip
key is on the same key ring. That second key will be almost as close to
the original sensor as the key in the keyslot will be, and that's always
or usually close enough to the sensor to work.

a non chipped regular key trips the relay, activates the chipped key and sensor....

**But there is a procedure for matching the key to the sensor, just like
any new key. On my car, when I start to match keys, it unmatches all
previous keys and both new keys and old ones have to then be matched.
It goes very quickly once you've tried 2 or 3 times.