Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default OT computer question...

I tend to run a bit behind the times with computers, only finally
switching from my W2k computer to an XP box shortly before my move.
I elected to bring the computer in my checked baggage, as I have all
my photography software and thousands of photos on it. But pulled the
HDD's and packed in my carry on. Also had my laptop and three small
external drives in carry on.

Get down here, put the drives back in, boot up, and....
Unknown Device on both disks. Whoa. At first I thought maybe the carry
on scanner biffed them. Google showed the X-ray scanners are not a
problem, but, the full body scanners can emit a strong magnetic field
that can affect a drive, and at SFO, the scanner is pretty close to the
X-ray line. But the laptop and external drives were fine.
I'd brought my HDD dock to salvage some data off my wife's old computer,
but grabbed the wrong power supply. Finally go a replacement, and both
drives are recognized just find when hooked to the laptop, can see all
my folders. Figured if I could see them, the data must be OK and didn't
go further. So looking deeper into it (and yes, I DID switch the PS to
220 before plugging it in!), I checked power to the drives. The 12vdc is
running 14v, but the 5vdc line is running a whopping 31 volts! I cycled
the input voltage selector several times, but made no difference. So,
new mobo and PS on the way thanks to eBay.
I'd buy something much newer, except all my install disks are buried
deep in storage back in the States.

So, just curious, has anyone ever seen a PS do this before?
Any thoughts on what happened to it to run the 5v side so high?

Thanks,

Jon