Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dont install Vinyl Siding

On Wed, 14 May 2014 07:31:43 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:25:14 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

wrote:

I still like aluminum siding a WHOLE lot better than vinyl.

Vinyl is cheap, easy to replace and maintain, but it's also easy to

damage, flutters in high winds, and doesn't give a sense of confidence

in the overall structure.

I like my houses to have brick siding. Just looks and and feels

solid. Costs more but worth it in my opinion.

Rock is free here just for the pickin' it up ... maybe that's why they

call it Stone County . My house currently under construction will have

rock technically Arkansas field stone up to the bottom of the windows ,

split white oak shakes above . If I can figure out how to make uniform

splits ... might just have to make use of the machine shop to build a device

to do that since I know of no one around here doing that . Maybe a

horizontal band saw , that'd leave a nice rough finish .

--

Snag

Should be some "do-it-yourself" on how to split shakes on the 'net. Takes a froe and mallet plus blocks to split them off of. Not a hi-tech job.

Aah, here's one:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/w...#axzz31hUMMiI5

Harry K

Shake saws were a common way of making shakes years ago - a circular
saw with a device to set up alternating taper (rip, not crosscut)
cuts.