Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dont install Vinyl Siding

On Tue, 13 May 2014 21:02:39 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:35:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tue, 13 May 2014 19:48:19 -0700 (PDT), bob haller

wrote:

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:19:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Recently there was a huge fire in a city near my home. I saw it on TV,

and I drove past the remains today. The old 2 story business with 5

apartments on the second floor (The building where the fire began), was

leveled. Four other homes and two garages were also leveled. There are

some bulldozers there, because they will be removing all the rubble

soon. The news reports said that nothing can be salvaged. One partly

burned garage was already demolished (immediately after the fire),

because it was leaning against a home that did not burn.

But the part that caught my eye were other buildings nearby that are

still standing. All of those buildings which have vinyl siding, even

those as far away as a block, have siding all warped and/or falling off.

Some places have large blobs of this siding melted together at the base

of the house. The buildings with painted wood siding were not damaged,

except those directly next to the fire, where the paint was charred in

spots.

If you suspect there will ever be a fire in your neighborhood, DO NOT

install vinyl siding. It does not hold up in heat.

no but every 5 years theres scraping, sanding and repaiting..

I believe that if a neighbors home has a fire that damages your vinyl sided home the fire insurance will pay for your damages, or your homeowners will cover it.

vinyl siding ends for a lifetime the hassles and costs of repaiting. plus you can get foam insulation board added, to save big bucks on utiity bills

I still like aluminum siding a WHOLE lot better than vinyl.

And steel is even better - doesn't dent, cost a bunch more though. I wouldn't use vinyl on the looks alone after it has been up several years.

Harry K

GOOD vinyl siding still looks pretty good after 30 years if it is
properly installed and not abused. Cheap vinyl siding looks like crap
the day it is installed and goes downhill from there. The same can be
said of poorly installed vonyl siding.

I have never seen any decent steel residential siding over here, and
there is aluminum siding that is quite dent resistant (but it is not
common)