Posted to alt.home.repair
Retired[_2_] Retired[_2_] is offline

Default OT Duplicate car key?

On 5/14/14, 12:52 PM, KenK wrote:
I have a Nissan Versa 2012 Standard Edition purchased used with only one
key and fob. I'd like to get a duplicate key in case of loss. I emailed
the local Nissan dealer and they said:

"The key for that vehicle runs $48.82 plus $50.00 to program all existing
keys and new key. Also if you are looking to get an extra key fob, the
key fob is $131.39. Let me know."

This is outrageous. A local lock shop says they can duplicate my current
key for $65. Why so much cheaper? Is it safe to duplicate a programmed
("chipped") key - any possibility they can damage it so I end up with no
key?

Ahh, progress!

Any suggestions?

TIA

It is a common mis-conception that the keys are programmed. Actually
it is the car's computer that is told (programmed) to accept the
PIN/Serial # that is embedded in the new key.

That's why, on some makes, only a dealer with the right computer
software can program the car to accept a new key.

However some locksmiths have gone to the expense of obtaining this
software, and are capable of doing the programming.

Also, some makes of cars allow the owner to program the car computer
thru a series of steps involving have a existing, working key, and a
lot of button pushing in the right order, to add a new key. That's
probably what your local shop would be doing.

Read your owner's manual and see if it gives D-I-Y instructions.