Posted to alt.home.repair
KenK KenK is offline

Default OT Duplicate car key?

I have a Nissan Versa 2012 Standard Edition purchased used with only one
key and fob. I'd like to get a duplicate key in case of loss. I emailed
the local Nissan dealer and they said:

"The key for that vehicle runs $48.82 plus $50.00 to program all existing
keys and new key. Also if you are looking to get an extra key fob, the
key fob is $131.39. Let me know."

This is outrageous. A local lock shop says they can duplicate my current
key for $65. Why so much cheaper? Is it safe to duplicate a programmed
("chipped") key - any possibility they can damage it so I end up with no
key?

Ahh, progress!

Any suggestions?

TIA