Mike Vore

Default A new lathe

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:05:24 -0500, Kevin wrote:

the small (11' X 13' X 7') shop. I figure a dust collector, an air
cleaner for the ceiling as well as using dust masks should be
sufficient. And a note, since the lathe was set up, we'vew been
turning some peach wood. What a pain as it was still somewhat wet
and when we got it, there was no intent to use it on a lathe. Last
night I sawed up a piece of ash. Ooooooo, what a difference. Got
those lovely long shavings I've heard about.

Most dust-collecting Air Cleaners I've seen have been hung from the
ceiling, to save floor space but when I tried one while I was sanding
Paduk I quickly saw that the bottom 1/3 or so of the filter caught the
red dust, so I lowered it to a couple feet off the floor (the top
makes another handy place to sit stuff) and found that the entire
filter catches dust when it is lower, remember that dust is
(eventually) heavier than air and settles DOWNWARD. So I keep my air
cleaner near the floor for what I feel is the most efficient cleaning.

See the weblog for pix of my cleaner.

mike

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW
http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness -Custom Woodworking