Posted to alt.home.repair
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Dont install Vinyl Siding

"bob haller" wrote in message
On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:19:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Recently there was a huge fire in a city near my home. I saw it on TV,

and I drove past the remains today. The old 2 story business with 5

apartments on the second floor (The building where the fire began), was

leveled. Four other homes and two garages were also leveled. There are

some bulldozers there, because they will be removing all the rubble

soon. The news reports said that nothing can be salvaged. One partly

burned garage was already demolished (immediately after the fire),

because it was leaning against a home that did not burn.

But the part that caught my eye were other buildings nearby that are

still standing. All of those buildings which have vinyl siding, even

those as far away as a block, have siding all warped and/or falling off.

Some places have large blobs of this siding melted together at the base

of the house. The buildings with painted wood siding were not damaged,

except those directly next to the fire, where the paint was charred in

spots.

If you suspect there will ever be a fire in your neighborhood, DO NOT

install vinyl siding. It does not hold up in heat.

no but every 5 years theres scraping, sanding and repaiting..

I believe that if a neighbors home has a fire that damages your vinyl
sided home the fire insurance will pay for your damages, or your
homeowners will cover it.

vinyl siding ends for a lifetime the hassles and costs of repaiting. plus
you can get foam insulation board added, to save big bucks on utiity bills

I suppose it depends on where you live. We're in the PNW. I don't think
our house was freshly painted when we moved in almost 10 years ago and it is
just now getting to the point where I see paint chipping off of the garage
door. The rest of the house still looks good but... We are getting new
roofing put on and that will include new soffit because they used the wrong
kind of wood. That will need to be painted so we will be painting the rest
of the house as well. Vinyl siding is not that popular here.

I had vinyl when I lived in military housing. I hated the stuff! One
winter, we had a severe blizzard complete with high winds. The siding blew
partially off on one end of the house. I had to keep listening to it whip
back and whap the house for days on end. Maintenance couldn't get up to my
house to fix it as there was so much snow!