Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Separate earth wire

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:57:15 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/05/14 19:45, fred wrote:

I'm of the view that it should be done right or not at all.

I would normally agree.
Best analogy
I can think of is the potentially insecure fixing of a safety railing to
a high roof. If there is no railing than all will stay well back and all
is well, if there is a railing then people will assume it is safe to go
closer to the edge and who knows what will happen.

Just offering another view.

But in this case I won't ;-
"Half arsed" is much better than not at all IMHO. And the presence of a
CPC is unlikely to make the internal insulation start to act all
careless and suddenly break down ;-
Unless you're proposing the user would stand on a rubber mat on seeing
an item of Class 0 equipment that has no CPC
And the OP has not answered: IS is actually Class 0?
Probably from that vintage, but it's not beyond the bounds of
possibility that it's actually double insulated - or as good as - by
accident if not design...
Personally I'd stick an RCD plug on it. Leaves the rest authentic and
significantly reduces the risk.

I wondered about an RCD plug. But they're not known for being robust. And it would be noncompliant.

NT