Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leif Neland Leif Neland is offline

Default I have a 12 volt 3 pole motor their is a dead spot between 2 segments,how can

Phil Allison tastede følgende:
"Leif Neland"
Phil Allison:
"Bob C"

I have an old 12 volt 3 phase model railroad motor

** You mean 12volt 3 pole ?

Typically, 12 volt DC motors have 5 poles - with only three, arcing
across the comm segments will be severe with 12V input.

Depends.

** What I wrote is accurate.

What is typical can be depending on many factors, including date.

The model racing cars my dad imported while I was a kid (Jouef) had 3
poles,

** IME they spend only a faction of the time with 12V applied.

while the trains, especially the higher class models, had 5 poles, to be
able to drive more slowly and smoothly.

** Not the reason at all.

It's easy to get 3 pole motors to run slowly, SCR and pulse controllers have
been doing it for decades.

It was also decades ago, i was a kid.

Back in the 90s, I raced 1/10th scale RC cars on both tracks and a elodrome
- 3 pole motors were the norm with 7.2 V SubC NiCd packs. The motors lasted
quite well.

This was in the 70's. Scale 1/40 cars, transformer-driven.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.