Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Separate earth wire

On 12/05/14 19:45, fred wrote:

I'm of the view that it should be done right or not at all.

I would normally agree.

Best analogy
I can think of is the potentially insecure fixing of a safety railing to
a high roof. If there is no railing than all will stay well back and all
is well, if there is a railing then people will assume it is safe to go
closer to the edge and who knows what will happen.

Just offering another view.

But in this case I won't ;-

"Half arsed" is much better than not at all IMHO. And the presence of a
CPC is unlikely to make the internal insulation start to act all
careless and suddenly break down ;-

Unless you're proposing the user would stand on a rubber mat on seeing
an item of Class 0 equipment that has no CPC

And the OP has not answered: IS is actually Class 0?

Probably from that vintage, but it's not beyond the bounds of
possibility that it's actually double insulated - or as good as - by
accident if not design...

Personally I'd stick an RCD plug on it. Leaves the rest authentic and
significantly reduces the risk.