Posted to alt.home.repair
jamesgang jamesgang is offline

Default Installing Central A/C Yourself?

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:22:16 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
I've been getting quotes for central A/C and they all seem very high.

The basic components are available to me at the following prices:

Air Conditioning Condensing Unit Horizontal Discharge, 13 SEER,

Single-Phase, 2 Ton, R410A $1300

Evaporator: $230

Replacement furnace: $550

So the big items are about $2300 including tax. The quotes I've been

getting are around $7000.

I don't really need a new furnace, but the existing one is about 32

years old and it's so tall that to install the A/C would require a lot

of duct work to fit in the evaporator, while with a new, shorter

furnace, there is no duct work needed.

The 230V power and all the plumbing are already in place. The electrical

panel needs a circuit breaker connected to the 230V wiring that's coiled

up behind it. I need to change the furnace blower motor from plug-in to

hard-wired with a switch, which is easy to do.

Has anyone here done their own A/C install?

At one point I had two houses and a condo. Total of 4 split heat pumps, 2 split ac, and two gas furnaces. So I started doing my own. I figured the cost of gauges, an economy vacuum pump, and a few special tools was not that bad. I use silver solder instead of brazing so I don't need a nitrogen tank. Never had a problem with silver solder. I got rid of one of the houses so I'm not trying to keep up with so much but I still fix what I have and what is left is all split heat pumps. If you'r planning on doing your own hvac work long term the equipment cost is not to bad. I did have to get the basic epa certificate to be able to buy refrigerant. And buying whole systems is a pain because most outlets will only sell to pros. You go out in the country and you find more places that are used to people doing their own work so it gets easier to buy a complete system. Plus the internet. Buying parts is no problem anywhere.