Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Separate earth wire

On Sunday, May 11, 2014 11:22:02 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/05/14 23:11, fred wrote:
In article dionic.net, Tim Watts
dionic.net writes

Lol, you people. Its a Hoover Dustette. CPCs can be single insulated,
as all T&E
is, but can it be wrapped round the flex in the manner once used with
2 core
lighting circuits?

And yes, if you really want to bolt an earth on, the CPC could be bare
metal for all it mattered, so spiralling a bit of single insulated
around the main flex would be fine.

In contrast, I don't think it would be suitable, particularly for a a
portable appliance. Greater risk of mechanical damage and flexure
failure on the single core. I'd say buy the right stuff and replace the
existing flex.

This was a portable appliance designed to operate without a CPC (albeit
to an earlier standard).

I'm not sure if there was much in the way of standards in the 30s, from the appliances I've seen of the era. I know wiring regs were in force for fixed wiring, but some appliances were still being sold with bare live bits back then.

So its getting its first PAT test at around 80 years old. Methinks its overdue. That or the next test is due in 2094.

Being something of a museum piece I'd rather not replace the lead, so adding a CPC may become a long term feature.

NT