Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Separate earth wire

On 12/05/14 09:29, fred wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
writes
On 11/05/14 23:11, fred wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
writes

Lol, you people. Its a Hoover Dustette. CPCs can be single insulated,
as all T&E
is, but can it be wrapped round the flex in the manner once used with
2 core
lighting circuits?

And yes, if you really want to bolt an earth on, the CPC could be bare
metal for all it mattered, so spiralling a bit of single insulated
around the main flex would be fine.

In contrast, I don't think it would be suitable, particularly for a a
portable appliance. Greater risk of mechanical damage and flexure
failure on the single core. I'd say buy the right stuff and replace the
existing flex.

This was a portable appliance designed to operate without a CPC (albeit
to an earlier standard).

I don't see the relevance, if it needs an earth now then it should be
done with a 3 core flex.

Perhaps the current flex cannot be easily removed or there is not room
to clamp the additional size of 3 core?

But if so, then I agree with you. However, I'm not getting uptight about
is as all the OP wants to do is add some belt and braces to an item of
equipment that never used to be earthed - it's not exactly a super
critical application.