Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Separate earth wire

In article , Tim Watts
writes
On 11/05/14 23:11, fred wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
writes

Lol, you people. Its a Hoover Dustette. CPCs can be single insulated,
as all T&E
is, but can it be wrapped round the flex in the manner once used with
2 core
lighting circuits?

And yes, if you really want to bolt an earth on, the CPC could be bare
metal for all it mattered, so spiralling a bit of single insulated
around the main flex would be fine.

In contrast, I don't think it would be suitable, particularly for a a
portable appliance. Greater risk of mechanical damage and flexure
failure on the single core. I'd say buy the right stuff and replace the
existing flex.

This was a portable appliance designed to operate without a CPC (albeit
to an earlier standard).

I don't see the relevance, if it needs an earth now then it should be
done with a 3 core flex.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .