Posted to alt.electronics
Brian Gregory Brian Gregory is offline

Default 180 degrees out of phase

On 10/05/2014 16:52, Brian Gregory wrote:
On 09/05/2014 23:56, Uncle Peter wrote:
If you built a circuit with a big inductor and a big capacitor in
series, such that the resonant frequency was 50Hz, then connected it to
the mains, would you get current flowing 180 degrees out of phase with
the voltage, and run the meter backwards?

No.

You'd just blow a fuse somewhere (or the inductor or capacitor would
blow) since you've just connected something that's a dead short at 50Hz
across 50Hz mains.

And, come to think of it, you'd also get some ludicrously high voltage
at the junction of the inductor and capacitor, potentially instantly
destroying the capacitor. Exactly how high depends on how perfect the
inductor and capacitor are and how exactly they resonate at the mains
frequency.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).