Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default How long does a portable gasoline powered electric generatorusually last?

Ashton Crusher wrote:

On Fri, 09 May 2014 20:44:01 +0000, ted
wrote:

I bought a 6200 watt Briggs & Stratton portable generator to get me thru
after a hurricane (Wilma 9yrs ago?). I've changed the gas and oil and
started it with a load every other month for 9 yrs. I run the motor dry
each shutdown and put a load on it while I'm running it. I forgot this
winter and let the stabilized gas go bad. Fairly sizable pieces of rust in
the float bowl like half a penny.
Is it time to put it out on the curb or do I go thru the hassle of
borrowing a truck and taking it to a shop ?
If you've ever been w/o power at your home for a couple weeks when all the
stores run out of new machines you'd know where I'm coming from.

Clean out the rust flakes and fire it up???

Clean out rust flakes, clean out the carb and it should be just fine. I
usually don't even dismantle the carb, but rather just place it whole in
a heated ultrasonic cleaner for a while, then blow it dry with
compressed air. This is usually enough to clear it if it's not too bad,
and then I'll put some B12 fuel system cleaner in the gas to help clear
any remaining gum.